Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Cosi Fan Tutte



'Giuoco delle coppie'
I reviewed this DVD of Così fan tutte when it was first released on TDK five years ago. I append my review from that time. I see and hear no obvious differences between the two DVDs:

I borrowed the heading from one of the movements of Bartók's Concerto for Orchestra; it translates roughly as 'The Play of Pairs.' And that certainly is the thrust of this wonderful production of 'Così fan tutte' from the 1983 Salzburg Festival, directed by Michael Hampe with sets and costumes by Mauro Pagano. The mise en scène makes much subtle play of the mirroring of the various pairs in the opera -- Fiordiligi and Dorabella, Ferrando and Guglielmo, Despina and Don Alfonso. Costumes, settings, stage action all tend to come in pairs, with just enough differentiation to make it more subtle than blatant. It certainly adds to the delicious comedy of the opera.

Some months ago I raved about a La Scala DVD of 'Così' conducted by Riccardo Muti but this...





Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment