Sunday, September 29, 2013

Kung Fu Body Conditioning: Traditional Training for Endurance and Power



Great instruction on adding traditional training into your own program
"Kung Fu Body Conditioning: Traditional Training for Endurance and Power" is a new DVD instructional program produced by YMAA that features Dr. Yang, Jwing-Ming and the students of the YMAA Retreat Center's ten-year kung fu training program. In this DVD, various body conditioning exercises are demonstrated and explained. I am a firm believer in the advancements in science and thus, physical training strategies and technologies that have allowed for not only safer training, but also for greater physical accomplishments both on professional levels and for those who train at home for personal benefit. However, I also believe in some of the traditional training methods that have produced results for not just years, but sometimes centuries. This 240 minute DVD program provides a lot of information, for anyone who wishes to incorporate traditional body-conditioning methods into their training program to strengthen bones, joints, and muscles to develop speed, root, and explosive power...

WOW...Yes!
I'm a fan of Dr. Yang for his Understand QiGong series and some of his books, but this DVD is probably
my favorite of all. I was looking for authentic Shaolin exercises, QiGongs and mind training, and
I just so happened to see Kung Fu Body Conditioning. The warm ups are a great exercise for building
up elasticity and fluid in the joints (harmonies), and the strength exercises are tremendous. No nonsense,
delivered by students of Dr. Yang and the man himself. Demonstrations were perfect, no fluff. I can't
say enough good about this one. If you want to train for Internal Arts or just to train, and you want
time tested material, here it is.
$37??? I've been charged $20 an hour to have someone tell me knuckle push ups and squats was Kung Fu conditioning.
Just wonderful.

Something for Everybody
When I saw the trailers for this video on YouTube, I saw a bunch of young men in their twenties doing amazingly athletic feats. I wondered if the dvd would have anything for me as a fit (but no longer twenty) woman in my fifties. I was pleased to find that it did. The stretching, range of motion, and qigong exercises are good for anyone. The more athletic conditioning exercises have beginning and advanced versions, and the presenters include details on how to modify the exercise if you have injuries. This dvd is as useful to athletic twenty-somethings as it is to anyone whose age or minor injuries still allow them to train a martial arts style. I'll be incorporating several of these exercises in my karate classes.

Susan Lynn Peterson
author of Western Herbs for Martial Artists and Contact Athletes: Effective Treatments for Common Sports Injuries

Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment