Saturday, September 28, 2013

Fernando Di Leo Crime Collection (Caliber 9 / The Italian Connection / The Boss / Rulers of the City)



When you find a director like Di Leo - You Tip Your Cap!
After watching way too many poor transfers of Euro films from the seventies, it's a real treat when I get a chance to see them released by a studio that actually cares what the final product looks like. In my opinion, Raro Video did an outstanding job with these four films, from the production value of the transfers to the package as a whole. I'm not going to imply that each one of these films is a five-star effort - even though fans of this director and this genre will most likely rate them very high, while others may nitpick at them - rather that it is the collection itself that I'm rating as top of the line, one that any enthusiast of Eurocrime or seventies cinema will find it well worth their time to track down.

Were I to rate them separately, I would give each film four stars - they all have their plusses and minuses, which seem inextricably linked in each. The first three films - Caliber 9, The Italian Connection, and The Boss - are part of Di Leo's 'Milieu...

Great Collection w/DVD issues
Nothing to add in the way of another film review.
The treatment of these movies is good, they look and sound very nice.
Yes, the cases are a bit flimsy but they're acceptable.
I, too, had an issue with the Il Boss disc. The feature doesn't freeze up but the Storie di Mafia documentary does have the 30 second audio delay. It's pretty f'n annoying and might render it unwatchable for many. I'm pretty patient with such things and still had a difficult time.
The "anyone can get a lemon" assessment by an earlier reviewer doesn't apply here.
The now-majority of Amazon buyers are having these same problems.
What seems odd to me is that the quality warnings on here are getting "1 out of 5 found this helpful" responses.
Seems to me that it might be kind of important to a potential buyer.

For whatever it's worth I'll contact RaroVideo.
Still, I won't be returning the set.
The films are great and I'm happy to have spent $20 to have them...

[Blu-ray] Fernando Di Leo crime collection [Blu-ray]
When I first heard these films would hit Blu-Ray, I was pretty excited since these Di Leo films are among his best and are some of my all time favorites. It was going to be great to see these films in definitive home video editions! Sadly, these new transfers don't look very good at all. They are swimming with digital noise and artifacts that may have been film grain at one point but is now a mass of swirling fuzz. The further away from the TV you get, the better the image appears to look.

The major letdown of the set, however, are the weird, split-second video glitches on the Blu-Ray disc of The Italian Connection (that can be seen in this photo I took here [...] ). Another similar glitch can be seen during the lumberyard fight, and then at least 5 more instances are seen during the final junkyard scene. I'm pretty sure this isn't an isolated incident, so if you've encountered these video glitches throughout the disc, please let Raro know that they need to correct this...

Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment